When it comes to our children, education plays an important role in their lives. This means they’re spending a majority of their adolescence and young adulthood going to class. That also happens to be a pivotal time for their spinal health and it’s crucial to take precautions that can benefit total wellness for the rest of their lives.
Here are a few ways to make sure your kids avoid backpack injuries when they head to school:
- Your child’s backpack should weigh no more than 5-10% of his or her weight. Any additional weight would cause spinal stress, which could result in a back injury.
- Ensure that any pointed or irregularly shaped items in the backpack are not going into your child’s back.
- Encourage your child to use both shoulder straps to evenly distribute the weight. Proper compartments in the backpack will also help.
- Any backpack for him or her should have adjustable shoulder straps so that it can be fitted properly, avoiding misalignment issues.
- Minimize and prioritize the items your child carries to school. Make sure unnecessary items are cleaned out routinely.
- If your child’s backpack is still too heavy, speak to his or her teacher about solutions such as leaving large textbooks in the classroom, getting an extra copy for home use, or using digital versions.
Talk to your child about the importance of these precautions and help him or her understand that it is vital for their long-term health. We would love to speak with you and your child about your family’s spinal care and how our chiropractic services can try to improve your total wellness. Call us at 512-371-1305 or contact us here for an appointment.